Sunday 8 April 2018

Design issues

Confession time. Ok, I bought fabric. I needed a particular type of design for that birdie swap.


But, yes, but. I loved the colours, and the design, so I got rather more of it than I strictly needed. Apart from the fact that they were not exactly going to sell me just three or four motifs, now were they?


And I got some coordinating fabrics too.

And I had an idea for a quilt top using these with some solid alongside.

And then I got to planning.


So, the next thing is to look at how the motif will fit in the item, and to measure the repeat.

This is where it all starts to go pear shaped.



( Interesting reflection from the window there almost looks like a pattern piece... )

The horizontal pattern repeat  is 6". In other words, Quilt-Speak as it were, 5 1/2" finish, maximum. 








Then the vertical repeat is 3 7/8", so that puts us into 3 3/8" finished, maximum.
What on earth can I do with those figures?

Apart from that, either the pattern is not quite printed straight, or the fabric had warped, so it is not quite cut straight. There will be some waste.

So, watch this space, I am working on it! I have some ideas, but.....

Any suggestions out there? Please?




3 comments:

Gina said...

My only thought is the centre of an off centre log cabin. You can adjust the number and width of the side pieces to get squares or you can stick with rectangles to get a different effect. Or some form of kaleidoscope block like the one block wonder. Love the fabric by the way and good luck xxx

Katrina said...

My only thought is that's roughly the size of a photo print 6x4. Though that's probably not helpful!

Katrina said...

My only thought is that's roughly the size of a photo print 6x4. Though that's probably not helpful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts